Thursday, February 17, 2011

Raymond Carver Bio

I recently read Raymond Carver: A Writer’s Life by Carol Sklenicka.  
Actually, it was about six weeks ago but I have hesitated to write 
about it.  I am a long time Carver fan and I immensely enjoyed the 
first 4/5s of this book, but I can honestly say, I wish I hadn’t read it.  

I was shocked at how he treated his wife, MaryAnn Burk, and his
children in his will, leaving everything but a few thousand dollars, 
including the rights to everything he wrote during the 20+ years he 
lived and was supported by Maryann, to his new wife Tess 
Gallagher, who later tried to cheat his children out of money coming 
to them from a possible movie project.

The biography is very well written and nothing can change the 
writing skills of Raymond Carver, but my opinion of him has changed
since finishing the book and I wish I hadn’t read it.





No comments: