Friday, December 3, 2010

Musical memories



Catching up on some of my favorite blogs today and found some stunning music 
courtesy of Dangerous Minds.  The post is on the Georgian singer Hamlet 
Gonashvili and DM includes three songs in this post, all beautiful but the first 
one - transcendant.

At first it reminded me of an old album I had in college of the USSR soldier’s 
Chorus - an album of rousting spirited impassioned singing which led me to take 
two years of Russian in college.

But the more I listened the more it taunted me with another musical memory - a 
band from Norway that I used to play many years ago when I did a lot of radio.  
Pulled out my old cd case and found them again - Bukkene Bruse.  Here’s a sample.  
This clip contains three different pieces.  My favorite begins around 6:50.  
Perhaps their singer, Arve Moen Bergset, was influenced by Hamlet.


NOTE: I wasn't able to find Hamlet's CD anywhere but he is available on iTunes,
as is Bukkene Bruse.


No comments: