Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Broken Ankle Update

So I haven’t been doing much writing OR photography lately.  Having a broken ankle
really affects so many areas of one’s life.  In addition to being painful, limiting my mobility,  
affecting my emotions and putting a huge obstacle in my job hunting path, it has also 
seemed to dampen my creativity.

Here’s a short overview of my broken ankle so far:

Nov 22 - Fall on the street near my house due to snow and icy conditions. 6 PM
My daughter, Delaney, gets our neighbor to drive me to the hospital.  I am told I have 
dislocated my ankle and broken it in three places.  The orthopedic surgeon (who looks 
like Dr. Oz’s cuter, younger brother) tells me I need surgery which has been scheduled 
for the next day.  I’m worried about money (no insurance), my job interview next week, 
Delaney (18 and a bit shaken) and how the heck I will be able to function for the 
next few weeks.

Nov 23 - Surgery (see photo  here).  I love morphine.

Nov 25 - I get to leave the hospital.  I have a walker rather than crutches due to the huge 
amount of snow.  Very nervous about getting home but I make it ok.

Nov 26 - Delaney cooks her first Thanksgiving dinner and it turns out amazing!!  I am 
spending most of my time in bed with occasional trips to the bathroom.  

Dec 6 - Appointment with Doc goes well.  He says I am healing faster than anticipated given
 the complexity of my injury.  Cast removed, boot added.  It’s all still a little scary.  I have my 
next appointment in three weeks.  Doc asked me if I was able to work something out with 
the job interview and I am amazed that he remembered that.  What a nice guy.  (The job
 stared Dec 15th so I remain on the eligibility list but missed out this time).  

Today I did a bit of searching on the internet to see what others have experienced and 
found this site  and this one and here's one more .

They have different recovery experiences but all have one thing in common: it takes a long 
time.  I have been unemployed for almost six months now.  I really need to be able to
walk NOW.  

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

what a story!!! I'm so sorry x 3!!!

Dear Kelly, I hope you will take as much as you can from this time spent "in your bed"... write, read, create more beautiful mandalas, meditate, sing, try laughter yoga...

I'm thinking of you since I've learned about your ankle. I'm going to sweat lodge this Sunday - will think about you there...

Things will fall into a place for you Kelly, take this time as a gift for yourself...

Love :*