Saturday, October 9, 2010

Hunter Thompson: Job Hunter

Came across this post on DangerousMinds about a cover letter Hunter Thompson 
wrote applying for a job at the Vancouver Sun.  I can see now that my cover letters 
have been way off.  No wonder I don’t have a job yet.

" . . . And don’t think that my arrogance is unintentional: it’s just that 
I’d rather offend you now than after I started working for you.
I didn’t make myself clear to the last man I worked for until after 
I took the job. It was as if the Marquis de Sade had suddenly found 
himself working for Billy Graham. The man despised me, of course, 
and I had nothing but contempt for him and everything he stood for. 
If you asked him, he’d tell you that I’m “not very likable, (that I) 
hate people, (that I) just want to be left alone, and (that I) feel too 
superior to mingle with the average person.” (That’s a direct quote
 from a memo he sent to the publisher.)  Nothing beats having good 
references."


No comments: