Monday, January 10, 2011

Hop, Skip and a Jump


My words for 2011 are : Hop, skip and a jump.

Originally, I considered this phrase literally - I’ve been hopping about on one ankle for five 
weeks now and hope to heal to the point where I am skipping and jumping later in the year. 
I am determined not to take the use of both legs for granted ever again.

But a hop, skip and a jump also resonates for me figuratively. (For my foreign friends - The 
phrase originated in the 1700s from a game using these movements, but came to mean a 
short distance. For example “It’s just a hop, skip and a jump from my house to Main Street”.)

I’m hoping that it is just a hop, skip and a jump from my current position (unemployed, broken 
ankle) to my new and improved position (employed in a job I love, mobile). The thought of 
positive changes being just a hop, skip and a jump away makes me very happy.

Tune: Bonnie Mulligan, performed here by the Sharon Shannon Band.
Photos: Most were found in The Commons, a few are by the great photographer Philippe Halsman

No comments: